
My darling is a college graduate! Wow! I guess that puts things into perspective when considering that we've been together nearly 4 years (we're 2 months and 2 days away from that anniversary!). It's so... surreal. In some ways, it feels like we just met, like he had just finished his freshman year in college and was complaining about having another 3-4 years to go... and yet, in others, it's like we've always been together. I suppose it's because, I just can't imagine life without him.
So, I have a funny story. Well, not funny- actually I'm still extremely frustrated- but it at least shows just how precious certain moments are.
I was one of the videographers/photographs for graduation this year. My authorization zone for the video camera was on a low balcony immediately to the left of the stage- perfect for filming the graduates as they exit the stage with their diplomas. The master level students were finishing up, and I noticed the video camera flashing a message; I only had five minutes left on that tape, so I had to go get another. Wanting to miss as little as possible, I ran up the stairs, down another flight into the corridor, and around to the back floor entrance where Char, the other (and better) videographer was to get more tape. As I'm running back down the corridor as fast as I can, I thought I heard Mike's name announced... but I thought to myself, no, no way, there's no way that can be him, they're graduating the school of business students now, not humanities and social sciences! I misheard the name. Yet when I got back to my spot, my parents were looking at me, and they said, "You just missed Mike graduate."
I freaked out! It took a bit to compose myself- the one person I wanted to see out of 700+ graduating, the 10 seconds I wanted to view with my own eyes out of a 2.5 hour ceremony, and I missed it. To make a long story shot: four business students were off screwing around when they should have been seated; when they did make their way to their seats, not knowing where they should sit, they sat in seats for humanities/social sciences... so, for the last four of the h/ss school graduates, there was no seats, so the usher sat them up front, with the school of business students! I'm pretty unhappy about it; I already started an email to the event coordinator. I know it won't get those 10 or 15 seconds back, but in the future, maybe someone else won't miss their loved one graduating because of people messing around and poor control.
However, the rest of the day was really fun! A huge group of us went out for a celebration lunch to one of (note- I say, *one* of) Mike's favorite pizza places. After that, we went back to his house for cake and coffee. Then he and I just relaxed, and watched his new TV! (I got him an eco-friendly, razor 1080p HD TV for his graduation present, and my parents got him an HD sound system).

Blue Moon!!

Mmm... pizza... with green chilis!

He had to have German chocolate ;)

The Grad and The Mamacitas!
After relaxing for awhile, we went over to our friend Aaron and Jenny's house, where they BBQ'd and ordered the Mayweather/Mosley boxing match. So, overall, it was an awesome day... and another step forward ;)
Monique, I loved your blog! That stinks that you missed him. Congrats Mike!
ReplyDeleteAwww thank you! I'm having fun with it! No, I wasn't very happy I missed him, especially since it was four business student's faults >:( jerks!
ReplyDelete